As parents, it is imperative to be aware of what your kids are doing on the internet. The internet is a very vast place that can be potentially dangerous for our kids as bad actors exist in all realms of the internet world. Our responsibility as experienced adults is to do our part in keeping kids safe from such potential dangers as much as we can.
Here are some online safety tips that we recommend for parents in keeping their children safe on the internet.
- Be aware of what your child is doing while on the internet. If you do not have the ability to watch their screen while they are online, make sure you are keeping tabs on sites they are visiting and monitoring how much time they are spending online.
- Install filters and parental controls on your devices that prevent your child from being exposed to potentially harmful content on the internet.
- Set screen time limits on devices to ensure they are not spending too much time on the internet. This is a great practice for anyone, regardless of age. It helps maintain a balance with real-world connections as well as promotes an overall healthier lifestyle.
- Know your child’s password(s). Have access to all their passwords so you have the ability to login to any of their accounts as well. This is also an opportune time to exemplify the importance of not sharing their passwords with anyone else but you (the parent).
- Do not be afraid to initiate the conversation about online safety with your children at an early age. Kids are being introduced to the internet earlier and earlier on into their development as technology continues to exponentially grow. It’s never too early to start the conversation with them.